Friday, September 24, 2010

Urge for Spontaneity + Need for Haircut = Lethal Combo x 2

It’s true. We ended our night by significantly changing our appearances. Will we wake up tomorrow and regret it? I’ll let you know in the morning. If the answer is yes, I will not post pics, if it’s no – I may try to get some up here.

The decision came out of our conversation over dinner at the Olive Garden. Dinner, by the way, was delish. You can always count on OG for a great meal! Our $25 gift card made it taste even better. I must interrupt my own train of thought here for a moment and say that we are blessed by the most generous and loving church congregation. The gift card was from a family in the church, who out of the kindness of their hearts, decided to send us $50 to Olive Garden just as a thank you for no specific reason. I have learned so much about being generous and giving of what I have to others from the incredible examples of generosity in our church. THANK YOU Faith Baptist for showering your YP with love.

Back to our dinner conversation…

Tony has always wanted a Mohawk. I have tried to give him a Mohawk and failed miserably. He has paid for a Mohawk at a local salon and they failed him miserably. Since we’re headed to a music festival this weekend with our high school students, he felt the timing was right to give the crazy-do another try. I needed a haircut. I love Jackie @ Zenders Salon and I haven’t trusted anyone else with my hair for the last year. However, my terrible hair day left me desperately wanting to chop my hair off into a short cut immediately. (I’ve been adamant for years that I will NOT have short hair until I’m old). Our dinner discussion was a debate of whether we should act on our impulses and get the Mohawk and chop my hair, or act more reasonably and schedule an appointment with Jackie and skip the hawk. You already know what we decided.

There are three salons across the street from Olive Garden. We drove across, parked the car and marched into Blaze Salon. I sat down in the chair and told the stylist to give me short hair. As soon as I was finished, we walked outside, down the sidewalk and in to Great Clips for the hawk.

The result? I’ll admit it, I love the Mohawk. It’s not as crazy as it sounds. The stylist told Tony he could totally pull it off. Is that a compliment?

The short hair will have to grow on me. I think I like it, but I usually regret it when a pony tail isn’t as easy. I’ll know when I have to style it for myself in the morning.

It was the first haircut I’ve ever had with Tony in tow. It made the whole experience much more entertaining. He took pictures the whole time just to be funny. I know I’ll look at those one day and be so thankful to have the experience documented in film. Ha.

Actually, it was a blessing to share the hour with him. We were able to engage in some really neat conversation with Kendra as she was cutting my hair. Tony was able to share his testimony of coming to know the Lord and going into youth ministry and we let her know about a new church plant in Iowa City. God provides so many opportunities for us to share His love and goodness. I pray I’m faithful to take advantage of those opportunities. People need Jesus, I want to share Him.

1 comment: