Wednesday, January 11, 2012

God's Calling

"God has created me to do him some definitive service. He has committed some work to me which he has not committed to another. I have my mission."
John Henry Newman

This quote blessed and challenged me this morning. I have never felt such a strong calling from the Lord on my life until I became a Mom. In the first moments of knowing that God was creating a babe in my womb, I became profoundly aware of the awesome responsibility He was allowing me. No one else can be mom to Myka. In addition, no one else can be wife to Tony. Those awesome responsibilities were given to me by God because I was exactly the person He chose for them. He didn't choose me because I was perfect for the jobs, but because He was perfect in me for the jobs. As I surrender to His call on my life, He will faithfully equip me with all I need.

It's easy for me to listen to the roar of culture above the whisper of God and that can be awfully dangerous. It seems the American Way attempts to diminish the significance of  God's call on a woman's life to be a Mom. There is no one more uniquely qualified than me to be the Mother of my child (by the grace of God). I cannot and will not take that calling lightly. When I read Newman's quote (above), I was reminded that I need to work all the more valiantly at my job as wife and mom. Those are the jobs in my life that God has committed to me and that no one else could ever fill. In any other vocational position I'm in, I'm completely replaceable. In my roles as mom to Myka and wife to Tony, I am irreplaceable.

I trust that the definitive service God created me to do is to be wife to Tony and mommy to Myka. I will make it my mission to give God everything I've got as I serve Him in these roles.

No comments:

Post a Comment