Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Mommy Fears

A dear, old friend who is expecting her first baby posed this question on facebook this morning, "Should I be afraid to bring a baby into this changing world?" Unfortunately, my immediate response is yes, absolutely yes - it'd be a shame not to be afraid to bring a baby into the midst of these tumultuous, uncertain times. Before I was ever even pregnant I spent time pondering these very thoughts. I remember wondering how in the world as a parent I would ever be able to explain some of the evil my future children would be exposed to. I couldn't understand how in the world they'd ever understand the goodness and purity of God in a world so full of sin.

At some point during the precious nine months of my pregnancy, I shared my fear of bringing a baby into the United States in 2011. Thankfully, God brought a wise Mom into my life to give me a Godly perspective. I wish I could give credit where it is due, but I can't for the life of me remember who shared this truth with me.The Mom I was speaking with gently reminded me that before even time began, God planned for Myka Mae Widdel to be born on Saturday, September 3, 2011 in Washington, IA in the United States of America. Before even time began, God had a purpose and a plan for her life at this very moment in time. God knew what evil would permeate our culture, he knew our country would be in the midst of a financial crisis, he knew the influence of media would be inescapable, and still he chose to uniquely design Myka and bring her into the midst of the chaos. 

This world has been full of sin since the fall, but somehow it's easy to think things are worse than ever and that makes it easy to be fearful for the young life that as a Mom you feel responsible for.  I'm more thankful than ever for my relationship with Christ. I'm so thankful that I can know with full confidence that Myka is HIS and He holds her in the palm of His hand and loves her with an everlasting love - that erases my fears.

At the core of my being, I trust that God KNOWS Myka, that he LOVES Myka, and that he has plans for her life - that erases my fears. I have no doubt that God chose and allowed me to be Myka's Mom. He knows I'm only a sinner, saved by grace. He knows my list of shortcomings is long, but he chose me and he will equip me with all I need for this calling - that erases my fears.

I cannot wait to see all that God has in store for Myka. I pray daily that at a young age she will understand God's love and be drawn to the things of God. I pray that she will faithfully serve Him throughout her life. I know that the best way Myka can learn truth is to see it lived out in me. I have been challenged and convicted as I pray for her. In fact, my 2012 New Year's Resolution is to be the woman I'm praying Myka will become.

It's easy to fear the world, but I'm choosing to trust God instead. I'm confident that God wants to use Myka's life to bring hope to this world, and I am honored to be her Mom.

Passages I'm clinging to as Mommy to Myka...
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, before you were born I set you apart; I appointed you as a prophet to the nations." Jeremiah 1:5

"'For I know the plans I have for you,' declares the Lord. 'Plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future.'" Jeremiah 29:11

"He tends his flock like a shepherd: He gathers the lambs in his arms and carries them close to his heart; he gently leads those that have young." Isaiah 40:11

“I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.” John 16:33

3 comments:

  1. This is beautiful!! Thanks for sharing... there's great peace in knowing these things!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. SO well said Cari! What a wonderful reminder of God's goodness and that we can trust Him. Those are some challenging prayers as a Mommy-that YOU would be the type of woman you want Myka to be. Praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cari, I LOVE reading your blog! It is so encouraging and usually hits the nail right on the head with where I am as a mother as well! -Megan (Bates) Engle

    ReplyDelete