Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Can't Believe I Forgot this One...

A few months ago I blogged about some funny middle of the night conversations I'd had with Tony while waking up with a newborn - you can read all about that here. Thankfully the days of waking up all night are over, but I can't believe I forgot to document the very craziest night.

In early October (1 month into parenthood), I turned our furnace on for the first time. Thankfully it seemed to be working fine and keeping our house cozy for baby. During the night, I woke up to something beeping repeatedly. I was so completely zonked that it didn't even register that it may be a smoke detector. Tony was so zonked, it didn't even wake him up. After a few elbow jabs, Tony woke up and I ask him to investigate. I fell right back asleep. He came upstairs a few minutes later and reported that our furnace room and laundry room were completely filled with smoke and smelled of fire. He said he had turned the furnace off and with that, WE BOTH FELL FAST ASLEEP until morning!

When the repairman came the next afternoon, he was horrified. He said flames had been shooting out of our furnace during the night as a result of a part that had fallen off. AND WE SLEPT THROUGH IT! This is hysterical to me now, but I spent that entire day praising God for his provision and I think I'll thank him again now! Our stinking furnace was on fire and we decided the best idea would be to go back to sleep. It's a good thing that season of life doesn't last forever!


No comments:

Post a Comment