Wednesday, May 30, 2012

My Husband. My Hero.

If you know me at all, you know I despise animals. Of all kinds. I don't know if that's sinful or not, but I can't seem to get over the fact that animals absolutely creep me out. I'm horribly allergic to anything with fur which doesn't help. I can't imagine choosing to have an animal live in my house. (It's okay that many of you are animal lovers. We'll just never quite understand each other.)

Unfortunately, I became familiar with what it feels like to have an animal living in my house. I don't like it.

Last Friday morning I was upstairs in our bathroom when I heard some loud banging noises downstairs. I immediately thought someone had broken into our house, so I ran quickly downstairs. I hadn't thought about what I would do had someone broken in, I just felt like I needed to run down there. (Thankfully Myka was sound asleep in her room). When I got to the bottom of the stairs, I rounded the corner to see something flying in my kitchen. I turned around and ran back up the stairs in a split second and locked myself in my bedroom. I immediately called Tony at work. He didn't answer. I called again. He answered. (He knows its an emergency if I call twice in a row :). I told him I needed him home right away because something was flying around in our kitchen and I wasn't mentally capable of leaving our bedroom until I knew it was gone. Being the sweet man he is, he came right home!

We talked through the bedroom door when he got home. I really wasn't going to leave that room until I knew my home was rodent free. He opened the front and back doors and started his search. He searched all through the kitchen and living room. Then he went to the basement and searched there. Nothing. After awhile he told me he might head back to work since he couldn't find anything. The canvases that had fallen off the top of the cupboards and onto the floor were proof that I wasn't totally crazy. Something had been in there. I begged him to keep looking. He did. All of a sudden I heard lots of commotion and then a very proud shout from Tony - "It's done, Cari!" And I sang the hallelujah chorus.


That creature was hiding in a basket on top of my cupboards. ew. ew. ew. ew. ew. Tony flipped the basket over, it came flying out and met that tennis racket. And then the floor. Don't worry, I have researched IA State Law and learned that it is not illegal to kill a bat that is in your home (it is, however, not recommended). I wanted to make sure I wasn't turning my husband over to the authorities with this post.

I'm still pretty horrified over this whole ordeal. I spent the rest of the day sanitizing every square inch of our kitchen and living room and then I had to quit thinking about it. We have four HUGE trees in our backyard, so bats probably love our yard. But I'd like to know how it got in so I can ensure it NEVER HAPPENS AGAIN!

I am such a wimp. Thank goodness Tony was on call. I'm even scared of puppies and kittens. I know - something is wrong with me. And this reminds me of the time I saw a mouse run across the floor of our old apartment, so I stood on top of a coffee table for 45 minutes until Tony got home. I don't know why I thought I needed to stand off the floor, but I did. He came home and gently instructed me to climb down and join him on a trip to Wal-Mart for a mouse trap. My husband. My hero.

3 comments:

  1. This is so true. While I don't dispise dogs, cats and all other rodent-looking/being things bother me so much as well as any form of spider/knat/bug. Everytime I see a spider or bug (no matter how small) I make Ethan "get rid of it". The house is not safe until that thing is going down a toilet (do not even THINK about putting it in the garbage...it will clearly come back from the dead). I do not know what I would do if Ethan were as scared of little critters like I am.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear ya! You have to flush the bugs! Tony always tries to just throw them away too. ICK! Thank goodness for macho hubbies! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i actually had a whole body shiver while reading this post. oh man, cari, i.would.die. the thot of a bat in my house at the same time as me...there's another body shiver.

    ReplyDelete