Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Praying for My Baby

I posted awhile back that one my New Year's Resolution for 2012 was to be the woman I'm praying Myka will become. Yikes! The Lord is definitely doing a refining work in my life, for which I am very grateful, but there are so many areas I want and need to grow in to help Myka (and others) see Jesus in me.

I've been thinking a lot about just how to pray for a daughter and I'd welcome your feedback to this post. When I first became pregnant with Myka, the Lord laid the word compassion on my heart, so I have prayed fervently that she would be compassionate. Of course, that is an area where I need tremendous growth. God definitely knows what He's doing, huh?

Anyways, some days it is hard to get passed just begging God to draw Myka into a relationship with himself. After all, that is everything. I just want her to KNOW Jesus and to spend her life on behalf of him...everything else will fall into place when that firm foundation is in place.I can pray for her physical health (and I long for her to be strong and healthy), but what good is that if she doesn't KNOW the creator of life? And health is no guarantee from God. I don't mean that to sound crass, but its the same as my prayers for myself and all those I love - Lord just let our lives bring your glory today - whatever that might look like. That's not easy to pray and so I don't pray that way all the time. But I think I should.

I've recently been challenged by a song I heard by Kendall Payne called Pray.What if this is how we prayed for our children and for one another? You can listen to it here.

Honestly, I have mixed emotions when I hear this song. Those aren't easy words to pray for your beloved child - "May you find every step to be harder than the last, so your character grows greater each stride." I'd love to pray that she has great character, but it's not easy to ask God to allow difficulty in her life to make that a reality.

I feel challenged to evaluate my prayer life...the way I pray for myself and for others. How about you? More questions than answers from me tonight. Let me know your thoughts. What do you pray for your children?

1 comment:

  1. Such a good post, Cari! I've been challenged in this area, too. I often find myself in the rut of praying for their salvation, as well. (or in the rut of not remembering to do it at all!) I have a calendar that I printed out when Boaz was born that I need to dig out again... praying through scripture and character traits. Something physical to help my thought process was helpful. Thanks for encouraging me in this today!!

    ReplyDelete