Wednesday, February 29, 2012

...and I cry at the calamity

I certainly do crack up at the craziness of youth ministry, but this week has been a sobering reminder that along with the laughter there are tears of devastation. Today instead of cracking up at the craziness, I am crying over a calamity.

When you feel called by the Lord to invest in the lives of your community's youth, you cannot help but grow to love the students that you spend time with. And we do. When we moved here 4 1/2 years ago, Tony bonded almost instantly with a couple of junior high guys that he spent a lot of time with. We loved having them over at our apartment for dinner, celebrating Christmas with them, and cheering them on in sports. Those boys are now seniors in high school, but instead of visiting them in the school cafeteria today, Tony visited one of them in jail, on his way to federal prison to serve a 10 year sentence. Our hearts are breaking.

A series of unwise choices led this young man to his conviction. We will continue to pray for him, come alongside him, and beg God to restore His life, draw him to Himself, and bring healing into his brokeness. Our hearts break because we love him and want God's best for him.

We are committed to youth ministry because we know, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that Jesus is the answer for a lost and hurting world. This young man has heard the truth of God's love for Him many times over but has yet to accept that free gift. Pray along with us that He will surrender to Jesus, seek forgiveness, and choose repentance. There is a better way. Sin masks itself as fulfilling and fun, but it always comes up empty. I have found it out for myself time and time again. I'm reminded today that without the forgiveness of a Savior, life is desperate and hopeless. I do not mean to say that with Jesus we never make poor choices or life is somehow easier, but there is forgiveness and we are given strength to do what's right - and that makes life so much better.

If you happen to read this blog and you don't know how much God loves you, how amazing his plan for your life is, or how to have a relationship with Jesus - I'd love to talk to you about that or I'd encourage you to start reading the Bible. If you feel like you've tried everything and you're still coming up empty, I assure you Jesus is the answer. If you're afraid because you know Christians that annoy you, or you have been burned by the church, or you struggle to admit you need help - just surrender to Jesus. He makes life worth living!

My heart breaks for this young man because I know he is afraid and lost. My heart rejoices because I am confident of the truth of God's word - "But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us." I am so thankful for God's forgiveness in my life and so full of hope that others can experience His goodness.

2 comments:

  1. Cari, I can't imagine your pain. We're praying for you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. so nice to find your blog guys! we need to catch up!!!

    ReplyDelete