Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Sister of a YP

Since this blog was originally created to document the hilarity and joy of youth ministry from my mind's eye, I thought it fitting to share a little something about my second favorite youth pastor on the planet - Mike Howard.

I got a phone call from Mike the other day. It went a little something like this...

Cari: Hello?
Mike: Oh, sorry, I'm driving and I just crashed.
Cari: WHAT?!? Are you okay?
Mike: Oh yeah, I'm just driving around on the Hover Round.
Cari: Why?!?! Are you injured?!
Mike: Yeah.
Cari: What happened?
Mike: Huh? I thought you asked if I was in church.
Cari: No, I asked if you were injured.
Mike: Oh. No, I just like to drive this thing around.

Mike is my old(er) brother. He's the Pastor of High School Ministries at Constance Free Church in Andover, MN. Apparently on occasion he cruises around the church on one of these...

Mike is crazy. He is hilarious. He is brilliant (believe it or not). He is exceptional at what he does, even though his  hover round skills need some polishing. As much as I'd love to be in possession of a picture of Mike on the Hover Round, I'm not. However, in case you're wondering, Mike's recent facebook profile pic looks like this...


Handsome, eh? I am so proud to say that people often comment on how much we look alike. Mike's 2 1/2 year old son Jimmy loves pointing this picture out to us on their fridge and saying, "Look at Daddy's mustache - ahhahahahahahahaha!" That sums it up nicely.

I hope you weren't too creeped out by that photo to continue reading because if I can capture even a piece of Mike's incredible talent and heart in this blog, you'll be awfully glad you stuck around. Mike truly is exceptional at what he does. I have a feeling there are a hundred high school students and countless others who have been touched by Mike's ministry who would be quick to agree.

My big brother Mike has been my most influential role model (alongside my brother James and sister Kelsey). Because he's perfect? Nope. Because he is the most doting, adoring big brother? Not hardly (at least he pretends not to be). Because he loves Jesus and boldly confesses his faith? Yes. Because he is a student of the Word and a brilliant theologian? Yes. Because under his hysterically funny antics, crazy pranks, and sarcasm there is a heart that loves people and longs to see them changed by the Gospel? Yes.

Mike set the bar for me in many ways growing up. I watched him as a high school student and challenged myself to be like him - to make my faith known, to be an excellent student, to love my parents. In college, I watched Mike invest in his friendships by loving friends like Jesus loved them and I attempted to follow his example. As God brought us into youth ministry, Tony and I often look to Mike for wisdom and insight.

As much as I'd like to go on bragging about Mike, I know he would not appreciate it, so I guess I won't. I will however brag about how lucky I am to be related to not one, but two youth pastors. That makes for some seriously crazy family get-togethers (think cinnamon challenge).

On a more serious note, Mike is a tremendously gifted preacher. If you'd like to be challenged by an incredible message, click here and listen to Mike's 1/29/12 sermon - Resolve to Make a Difference.

And, one last thing...Mike & his wife Jenny are amazing parents to Jimmy (2 1/2) and Emma (1 month). Tony and I look up to them a lot. Look how beautiful they are...









No comments:

Post a Comment