Monday, February 27, 2012

Baby Brain

My brother recently told me something that explains so much of what I've been feeling! I don't remember exactly what he said or who he said said it (which helps prove the point I'm about to make), but it went something like this... "A woman's brain capacity decreases by #% (i have no clue what the percentage was) for every child she has under 8 years old."* Don't worry, he went on to say that you do indeed regain that brain capacity as your children get older. I'm certain this was said with a certain level of humor, but I feel as if I am living, breathing, scientific evidence to validate that statement and I only have one child under 8!

I wish I could remember all of the ridiculous things I have said, done, thought, forgot, meant to do, thought I did but didn't do since I have had a baby. It would be quite hysterical if I could only remember them. I must jot down the few that do come to mind, in hopes that some other Moms out there can make me feel better with their similar stories.

1. The nicknames I call Myka are absolutely ridiculous. My mouth often moves faster than my brain, so the names that come out for her are crazy. I'll share a few....Mister (we often call her Maester because her middle name is Mae, but I have referred to her as Mister on multiple occasions), Maester Mae, Maester Wid, Bubba (what?!?), snugga bunny (maybe i saw a toy named this?), sweet pea apple of my eye, Michael (yes - i've accidentally called her Michael), stinker, stink pot, and I'm getting embarrassed so we'll be done with this list now.

2. Laundry mishaps. Somehow adding one little tiny girl to our household quintupled our laundry load. I've had my fair share of goof ups with the washer and drier. I managed to wash and dry my retainer (which I wore faithfully EVERY night for six years. I miss it terribly). I pulled a load of laundry out of the drier and then turned around, saw it in the laundry basket and put it right back in the washer. I found my wedding ring in a pile of dirty laundry on the laundry room floor. I also found it in the washer on another occassion - not good! And, of course, I turned a load of whites pink.

3. Overdue water bills. This one makes me furious!! Our water bill is the only bill I have (besides our tithe) that I cannot pay online. I have to pull my checkbook out and mail or drop off a check every month. Somehow EVERY month of Myka's sweet life, I have been late by ONE STINKING day and that has cost me $10/month. 

I feel like I need to do a SUDOKU every night or something to regain little pieces of my brain that are slipping away. Any other tips from experienced Mamas?

*Just heard from Mike...brain capacity decreases by 11% per child according to Bill Simmons.

1 comment:

  1. Oh man... this is so true. Those darn bills get me every time, too. I'm about ready to hand the job over to Luke b/c it stresses me out to think that hard!! :) No way I can dig into theology books these days... it's Goodnight Moon for me!! :)

    ReplyDelete